Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Full Circle Joys...

I’d meant to write something entirely different tonight as my post, but I am sitting here with a huge lump in my throat and tears of joy just stinging my eyes a bit. After Internet hassles for much of the Province this afternoon and being completely off-line, I snuck down to check my messages. There was an invitation to take part in School District 2’s Storyfest 2007 as an illustrator!!

Last May, Erin’s school called me the night before and asked if I would be a parent chaperone because the guidance counselor had to go to an emergency meeting and they knew my schedule could be flexible. I wrote a long entry in my journal about how I was dreading it... sitting through presentations by people who had actually made their dreams of writing and illustrating come true! I was already feeling like I was at a crossroads and not sure if I’d made the best choices by putting so much energy into something that could be so easily stolen.

I went and followed the kids and sketched and ultimately met Nanny Kay. Within 2 weeks, I was doing pencil sketches for the book and the summer’s adventure of illustrating her 2nd book became a reality.

Tonight, the invitation sits in my e-mail program and all I can do is smile. What a difference a year can make! I guess it really never is too late to chase a dream and bring it to life!!

4 comments:

Erica said...

Congratulations Jen! You deserve every wonderful thing that has happened. I admire your courage and spirit that has led you here. You're an inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Well done! Pushing past the obstacles to get to your goal .... wow! Your example is inspiring! I must have reread this a couple of times until I realized that it was your doing that got you to where you are ... I'm off now to get doing so that I can achieve my goals!! Thanks again for your example!

Juls said...

Congratulations! I have been reading your blog...yes a lurker and you are an inspiration! You deserve it!!!! Enjoy your well deserved happiness!

Anonymous said...

HUGE congratulations, Jennifer! You *go* girl! :-)