Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Coping Strategies For Canadian Parents

Indian summer is over. Yesterday morning’s cold, wet drizzle did not motivate my children to get out of their toasty, warm beds which now have the fuzzy, winter sheets on them. While there may still be a few warm afternoons, during which I can coax them outdoors, I have begun to plan my winter coping strategies. This is in everyone’s best interest, especially since eating my young is not an option like it is for some animals.

Before the snow comes, I will have my lines memorized:

“If you can’t find something to do, you can always tidy out your closet!”

“Back then, there were no Gameboys, DVDs and computers. We read books and used our imagination!”

“I could teach you how to do a load of laundry!”

“I know it’s cold out there, but Mommy used to play outside in -30 degrees when she was little!”

I will, of course, try to set the example to encourage them to enjoy the outdoors all year long... but when I can no longer feel my toes through two pairs of socks and warm, winter boots, I will make the ultimate sacrifice. I will go inside and get the hot chocolate ready!

3 comments:

Lori said...

That's funny...I went to bed last night and immediately wished that I had been smart and put on my warm fuzzy winter sheets. Welcome to the Maritimes, eh? ;)

I need to call for oil delivery to start up soon :(

mmmm... hot chocolate.

Anonymous said...

Mmm... warm fuzzy sheets here in Toronto, too... Jennifer, you remind me of my mother whose famous line was "Only boring people get bored." Never got bored again after cleaning out the basement. :)

Kitty said...

Heh, I came to post my mother's staple response to my whine of 'I'm bored' which is very similar to anonymous': 'Only people with no imagination get bored'.

I'm guessing they're too old for the trick of sending them to the shops for one of the following:

A jar of elbow grease
A can of stripey paint
A skyhook
A left-handed screwdriver
A long wait

;)