Tuesday, January 27, 2009



SURFACING...

I have no idea where the month of January went!

Actually, that’s not quite true. 5 days were spent as a substitute teacher in the schools, 2 days in Fredericton with the Writers In the Schools Program, 2 days of a whirlwind visit with my Dad and Barb here for a visit, several days trying to beat my head against my computer when it stopped being able to make readable .pdf files for some reason and the rest of the time I was frantically getting ready for the SCBWI conference in New York City this weekend.



I’ve been busy...



quite busy...


OK... really, really busy!

So here I am with the portfolio mostly ready to go (I have to decide which of 2 books I am going to put them in), my promotional stuff is ready at the printer for Nick to pick up on the way home, my new website DragonDoodles.ca is ready to go...

...and I have just found out that there is the potential for a huge snowstorm to hit tomorrow through Thursday morning (when I am supposed to fly out)! The urge to scream or eat chocolate is pretty strong!!

Since I cannot control Mother Nature, I have decided to concentrate on the things that I CAN control:

I can make a packing list so that I don’t forget anything important.

I can celebrate the fact that I have new work to show off once I arrive there safely.

I can think about the great travel stories I may have to tell other attendees.

I can decide which art supplies pack well, just in case I get stuck in an airport longer than I had planned.

I can blog from wherever I get stuck since I HAVE to take the new laptop with me for one of the workshops (which reminds me... I need to install Photoshop Elements on it before I go!)

I can write a story to go with the 2 polar bear illustrations I had such fun creating for my portfolio.

I can bring along some graph paper and design something new in cross stitch.

I can bring along the pair of socks I need to finish knitting.

and if worst comes to worst...

I can always break down and buy a tiny bit of chocolate somewhere along the way!

3 comments:

Claire said...

Definitely get some chocolate. It's amazing how much easier it is to deal with things after eating chocolate.
Good luck at the conference.

geeky Heather said...

Congratulations on the new site...it looks great!

And..I vote for writing the story to go with the polar bears. I love the sense of motion you've created with them. But, of course, chocolate works, too. =)

Heather said...

I hope your flight gets out on time. I'm guessing your going to get the storm we got here in Ontario today. It wasn't so bad, so with luck, you should be fine!

I vote for designing a cross stitch design, but I'm biased. ;) Otherwise, the polar bear story or the socks.