Sunday, May 15, 2011

New Challenges Force Us To Grow...





The internal soul-searching that I’ve done over the past few weeks as the book gets ready to go to press has stayed out of the blogs, which is why I’ve been quiet, until I drove myself crazy with self-doubt this past week and technology kept making things more difficult.

I have drawn by hand and taken that seriously since I was 11.  That’s now 34 years of experience feeling the pen or pencil in my hand and working digitally with a tablet still feels so different.  When I watch what some of the younger artists are capable of doing digitally with a tablet and layers in Photoshop, I feel strangely left behind.

The book cover for Emily Finds A Dragon is done after a very hectic week and I shared all the details about the process on my Doodling Dragons blog.

This is the shorter version for those of you who just wanted a quick peek at the final cover for the book.

2 comments:

Sarah Butland said...

There will always be a need for such talent as yours Jennifer. Some people prefer hand drawn to digital work and I love supporting local, no matter how they've drawn it.

No that I know you I plan to check with you for my next children's book project. Although I've committed to one artist for my Sammy series I'm working on something else I think hand drawings will be awesome for!

ArchangelDecker said...

I agree with Sarah. And call me an old fogey, but while some really neat effects can be done with a computer, nothing beats the heart and soul of hand drawn art. :)