Sunday, September 07, 2003

I'd rather be designing!

Friday morning I got to voice 3 radio commercials that were zany and a lot of fun, but then just before the end of the day, one of my graphic design clients dropped a rush project in my lap that took up most of my weekend.

Since I am in the midst of finishing up a design that has me absolutely captivated, I would much rather have put in those hours designing... but the reality of what I do means that I still need my other sources of income.

I can still remember some of the e-mails I received when speaking out against copyright violations. One person actually told me that I shouldn't be greedy since I receive "endorsements" from floss and fabric companies just like those athletes do! If they could only see that I buy most of my floss RETAIL (though my local shop does give me a discount!)

There are many wonderful things about being a designer. The most satisfying one is that, as an artist, one of my life-long dreams has already been achieved. I have created images that have touched others whom I many never get the chance to meet. That is an honour indeed. I love to meet and hear from stitchers as well. I love the materials that I work with... the sheer range of colours to play with or how the #4 Kreinik braid sparkles in the light when I am stitching late at night. I love the chances to travel to trade shows or shows like the Creative Sewing and Needlework Festival in Toronto next month... and yes, it is VERY cool when someone asks me to autograph a chart.... but I don't know of ANY designer out there, or shop owner for that matter, that went into this business just to make a lot of money.

I love what I do and am so blessed to be able to earn a living with the range of talents given to me... but oh... I would SO much rather have spent today designing!

Jen at Dragon Dreams

No comments: