Tuesday, September 16, 2003

Never Give Up On A Dream...

In a conversation this morning about following your dreams, I was reminded of the fact that I almost gave up on cross stitch before I even really got started!

When I was planning to attend my first trade show, I visited an Economic Development Commission to find out what programs were in place to help with the costs of getting from Moncton, New Brunswick to Charlotte, North Carolina. In speaking with other designers and cross stitch shops, I knew that this was one of the best shows to attend in order to wholesale my designs to shops from North America and around the world. I went in armed to the gills with facts and figures only to end up across a desk from a “guy in a tie” who said:
“Let me see if I understand this... people make Xs with string on cloth?”

I knew that didn’t bode well, so I tried to explain that I was producing the PATTERNS from which people who did cross stitch could create their own versions. At that point, he smiled politely and said “Sweetie, I think you need to get yourself a table at the next big craft fair up at the coliseum and see how the patterns go over here in Atlantic Canada. That sounds more like a HOBBY to me!” Never call a 6’5” woman “Sweetie”.... it makes us vengeful!

Needless to say, Nick and I did not get any funding that year. What we DID do was take the money from that year’s tax return, pack up the 10 designs in a laundry basket, load them into our Subaru station wagon along with our camping gear and clothing. I took my 2 weeks of vacation to coincide with the shows dates landing in the middle and we drove from Moncton to Charlotte. Our Subaru had no air conditioning, so when it got too sticky (as it does in late July as you drive South) we would find a mall and walk around for a little while until we cooled down.

We lost our muffler in Roanoke and pulled into Charlotte sounding like a tractor... but that is another part of the adventure.

When faced with that obvious belittlement of what I was trying to do, I could have listened to what an economic advisor told me... I could have given in to those doubts that began to whisper in my head...but I chose to chase my dream instead. I learned that if you want something badly enough, and you are willing to do whatever work it takes to make that dream come true, then no one else has the right to tell you that dream is foolish. It may not work out the way you first envision it... but there is nothing like having your fingertips at least brush the stardust!

No comments: