Monday, August 29, 2005

The Dragon Goes Blond!

I’m getting ready for Dragon*Con in Atlanta this coming weekend and went to the hairdresser for a trim to keep my hair nice and short under the wig when I dress up in costume Sunday night as She-Hulk... but while I was there I decided to go blond instead of the red rinses I’ve been putting in the past few years. I posted a picture on my other blog for those of you who are curious.

We had a great time at the family wedding in Ottawa and I even got to meet up with my old college roommate who was kind enough to drive all the way out to the airport on HER 40th birthday, with her family, so that we could see each other. Our kids had a blast blowing bubbles in chocolate milk and scarfing down Timbits while we chatted and then dashed for the plane.

We arrived home to find that Nick has not only painted the whole rec room the colour we’d chosen, he even came up with a much better floor plan and moved most of the furniture. I think that he and the kids may tackle some of the black furniture to see if they can scuff it up and paint it white or colours to match the room better this weekend while I am away. With more than 70,000 people invading Moncton this weekend for the Rolling Stones concert, he isn’t going to try to go very far on Saturday, especially since we should be able to hear the concert from the house!

It’s actually fun getting ready to go away on another trip that isn’t all business. Actually, this is just a crazy dream that I’ve had for over 4 years, ever since I decided I needed to take off the extra weight I was carrying. I needed a good carrot that would help me keep it off permanently, or at least for a few years. Looking ahead to 40 back then and declaring that I would “find a major comic/sci-fi convention and dress up as She-Hulk” sometime in 2005 seemed a LONG way off. Now here it is just 6 days away!

I can honestly say that chasing this dream has been as exciting as seeing my name in a cross stitch magazine for the first time, or getting fan mail, or painting something for a gift that you know really touched someone, or learning how to do the butterfly stroke in swimming, or going on a corkscrew roller coaster will Erin this summer...

Whenever we take on a new challenge or chase a dream or create something, we are recharging something inside! I can’t wait!!!

No comments: